Today your challenge is to CONNECT with some one you love who encourages, comforts, or energizes you.
Back when I was in counseling school, we talked often about how a trusting relationship usually makes more difference than any specific technique or counseling approach. After studying counseling for three years during Masters program, I concluded that having healthy relationships and a solid support system of friends, family, and community was the top priority in mental well-being.
These days, I get really excited about how food, sleep, imbalances in our hormones, blood sugar, and a hundred other things affect our moods and our ability to cope with life. But, when you get down to it, trusting and supportive relationships still move the needle more than just about anything else.
Today, make connection a priority. Dedicate at least 30 minutes to connecting with some one you trust and find supportive. Here are some ideas of ways to do that:
- Call and talk to a friend or family member on the phone.
- Go for a walk with your spouse or a friend (don’t hesitate to ask a neighbor to watch your kids for half an hour so that you can do this!).
- Take a lunch break and eat with a friend or family member.
- If you and your friend both have kids, meet at a park so that you can talk while the kids play.
- Bring your awareness to an interaction that comes up today – whether planned or unexpected. Choose to be present and connect rather than just thinking about your to-do list or talking about logistics.
- Find more inspiration on our Pinterest page.
Are you ready to join us?
Need More Support?
If you’re interested in more support for Holistic Mental Health, check out this group coming up in March…A Little Space: From Sad and Stressed Out to Centered and Soulful.