The calendar year gives us several good opportunities for fresh starts…New Years Day, birthdays, anniversaries. Like many of you, this fresh start for me comes at the beginning of the school year. During the summer, my house was filled with laughter, forts, projects, and (generally speaking)…messes. Not to mention, that we had a LOT of travel over the summer. Though I miss all the sweet family time, I’m thankful for the peace and brain space that come with the rhythms of the school year.
This week, I have taken some extra space to reflect, pray, and plan. Sometimes it can feel extravagant to take time for things like this when everyone we know is busily working long hours and burning the candle at both ends. But, I know that I can’t do the work I do unless I’m centered and nourished. I have to make my choices out of a healthy place; otherwise, my presence is frenzied, and the wisdom, guidance, and safe space that I try to offer people is compromised.
At the end of this week of turning inward, I want to share with you the ventures I’m deeply excited about this year:
- Counseling Sessions at Christ Episcopal Church: I’ve made an arrangement with several churches in downtown Little Rock to be able to offer counseling sessions at a discounted rate. I see this as a beautiful sign that the Church cares about the mental health of its members, and I’m excited that it will make counseling accessible to people who need it but simply can’t afford it. I absolutely LOVE being a counselor. It feels like it’s truly my gift to the world, and I hope to offer it to more people in the coming year! If you’d like to make an appointment or pass my information onto some one else, here’s a link to my appointment calendar: click to make an appointment.
- Self Care Nights: I’ll be leading a monthly Self Care Group at a local business called Balanced Mama. We’ll cover topics like setting healthy boundaries, getting your needs met in healthy ways, daily self care practices, meditation for mamas, meal planning for stress reduction, and more. In my work with clients, I have found that self care and methods of handling stress are at the core of deep healing. All the other things help, but without these the chronic issues just come back. Click here for details.
- Holistic Health Coaching: I will continue to offer holistic health coaching packages – with and without lab testing. I have been doing this for several years now, and I’m really growing in my ability to support people through a healing process. I love seeing everything come together into vitality and peace when they address the various factors that have been keeping them stuck in their symptoms. Appointment Calendar
- Writing Fridays: I’m making room in my schedule to WRITE on Fridays. Writing is something I enjoy AND feel an urge in my spirit to do. I hope to have an article or reflection for you every Friday this school year, so watch your inbox! And, I’m hoping that my dad will join me in this new practice. He is a great writer, and we’ve always wanted to write something together!
- Finally, and most urgently: I am hoping and praying that God will make a way for me to go to the Integrative Medicine for Mental Health Conference in September. This conference is my exact area of interest and passion. There is an amazing line up of speakers and workshops. I would get to connect with other like-minded people (which is HUGE!). The best part is that it’s fairly close to home this year (Dallas, TX). I only have until August 30th to get the reduced rate (which is still rather pricey). If you would be willing to help support me in going, that would mean the world to me! And, I promise to bring back lots of good information to share with this group! Click here to donate.
Below, you’ll find some pictures from our very eventful summer!
– Our Green Groceries fundraiser – getting fresh, farm food to local families in need.
– Going to my niece’s graduation in Washington DC.
– Taking my kids to camp at the camp I went to as a child.
– My oldest going to Ecology camp with the Audubon Society.
– A visit to the community we lived in – Reba Place Fellowship.
– A reunion with the Reba Place Moms Group.
– Hosting our annual Covenant Group (friends from college) in Arkansas!
– Teaching cooking classes to kids during Vacation Bible School